Sporting Index has been around since 1992, which is a seriously long time for a betting company. Sporting Index’s roots are firmly in the spread betting, as you can see from the 25 year milestores added below, but today I’m going to take a closer look at the Sporting Index new “Odds” section of the site, but before we jump in, let´s take a super quick look at at the spread betting sign up offer. It´s currently open to new accounts, if you decide to opt for the odds 10/10 sign up offer, you won’t be able to sign up for the spread betting welcome offer at a later date.
Spread Betting Sign Up Offer
If you do fully understand spread betting - we will have a full spread betting article coming shortly as there is quite a bit to run through. It´s really important to understand the risk of spread betting before you proceed with this option. The spread betting sign up offer is £100 to bet with for new accounts (full details here)
Key terms: “New clients get £100 (non-withdrawable) to bet with. Keep that you win. Any losses over £100 are your liability. Market restrictions & 7 day time limit apply. Click for full T&C’s. Account opening subject to suitability checks. Spread betting involved risk. Losses can exceed deposits”
What is Sports Spread Betting?
Definition from Sporting Index: “At Sporting Index we make predictions on various aspects of sporting or topical event. You then decide whether that prediction has been pitched too high or too low. What you then win or lose depends on the stake you choose and how right or wrong you are.”
More about spread betting here:
Sporting Index Odds Welcome Offer
- New clients only.
- Applies to first 5 x £5+ bets on any sports market at odds of 1.5 (1/2) or greater.
- All five qualifying bets need to be placed on separate selections and must be settled within 30 days of registration
- 1 x £25 free bet issued once all 5 bets are settled.
- Free bet valid for 7 days and stake not returned.
- Cashed out bets will not count towards qualifying.
- Full terms available online.
Sporting Index Fixed Odds 10/10 Sign Up Offer (Expired)
The sign up offer was really easy to complete, just remember to select the 10/10 offer when signing up and not the spread betting offer. Then all we need to do is deposit (at least) £10 and place our first cash bet at odds of at least 1.50. Simples!
- New clients only
- Qualifying Bet must be settled within 30 days of registration
- 1 x £10 free bet issued on Qualifying Bet settlement
- Free bet valid for 7 days
- Free Bet stake not returned
- Offer not valid with cashout.
The new odds section of the Sporting Index website works in exactly the same way as other bookmakers fixed-odds betting. It´s great to see the Sporting Index as default display fractional odds, like the majority of bookmakers. As I prefer to view the odds in decimal, having placed a huge selection of bets in my time on the betting exchange I find it easier to view in this format. There is a quick way to change your preference once signed in to change from fractional to decimal odds. Click “My Account” once signed in and alter the “Odds Display” to “Decimal”. This preference will now be saved so each time you visit the site you will see decimal odds displayed.
Sports & Markets
Sporting Index has a huge range of sports that you can place bets on - all major sports that you expect from a decent bookmaker with the history they have in the industry including horse racing, football, golf. There are also some interesting markets available for example under “TV & Specials” it´s possible to bet on tomorrow´s airport temperatures - if you have some insider knowledge why not have a go at Edinburgh (EGPH) temperatures being over 10.5 celsius.
If politics is your thing, there are also a lots of world politics markets available:
- British Politics - e.g. next prime minister, next conservative leader, next lib dem leader
- US Politics - e.g. democrate nominee, election winner,
- European Politics - e.g. next country to leave the EU
- New Zealand Politics - e.g. winning party
- Australian Politics - e.g. queensland state election winning party, next sworn in federal government.
It´s also great to see a fair chunk of in-play markets including - horse racing, greyhound, football, table tennis & ice hockey to name a few.
Sporting Index (Odds) Promotions
At the time of writing, there are no active promotions available for Sporting Index fixed-odds (see “promotions” tab on the main navigation bar. But if I take a look back at the offers we had listed on the yesbets websiteand via the emails I’ve received, we can see an interesting range of existing customer offers to keep you coming back:
Bad Beat Special
Quite an interesting offer this one, the offer is not currently available on their website, but I do hope it returns later on this year.
“Back a team to win and if they lose the match but ´win´ according to the Expected Goals measure, we will refund your stake!”
For example on the 10th August - the offer was available on Tottenham v Aston Villa and Man United v Chelsea. The offer has been in the form of a £50 cash refund if the team you back in the 1x2 market loses the match but win according to the xG measure.
More details on the xG market
Six Nations Bad Beat Special
Following on from the populatority of the football bad beat special, this offer is slightly easier to understand as there is no xG measure. All thats required in this offer is to place up to £50 on the match winner market and if your team loses but scores more tries, you will receive up to £50 refunded as cash.
“Back a team to win on our ´Match Winner - Bad Beat Special´ market and if your selection loses the match but scores more Tries than the match winner then we will refund your stake as a Free Bet! Selected matches, £50 max stake and full terms apply.”
To be fair this does not hit too many times, at the time of writing we have not seen this hit once in the 2020 Six Nations Championship so it may be worth looking at other six nations betting markets, in comparison the football bat beat offer does hit quite often. In September 2019 we received word…. “Our Bad Beat special offer has paid out on the last three selected games! Bournemouth v Everton, Norwich v Man City and Everton v Wolves all saw client stakes on the losing team refunded! Make sure you don´t miss out this weekend! “
Horse Racing Odds Boosts
With Barry Geraghty, a high profile jockey as their Brand Ambassador you’d expect them to be pushing his name hard. There are often horse racing odds boosts available on Barrys key rides - recently a Cheltenham Festival ante post email received offering 9/4 for Defi Du Seuil to win the Champion Chase. In hindeside, not a great price to be pushing as Defi Du Seuil didn’t do the business in the Champion Chase, but he did only just miss out on the top jockey honours at Cheltenham Festival 2020 - hitting join top spot with Paul Townsend with 5 winners - however after place contback just missed out on the top prize.
Sporting Index Milestones
A quick look at Sporting Indexes milestones over the last twenty five years:
- 1992 - Sporting Index established. First bet is a buy of Conservatives Seats in the 1992 General Election.
- 1994 - Biran Lara´s 375 for West Indies v England condems Sporting Index to our first fuge loss and one of the biggest over the past 25 years
- 1996 - Euro ´96 is a seismic journey. Sporting Index first as an established bookmaker.
- 2001 - Sporting index launched the first online, fully interactive sports spread betting service.
- 2003 - Sporting Index unveil "Bet of the Move", the UK´s first ever mobile betting application
- 2004 - Sporting Index launch the world´s first spread betting games, allowing clients to spread bet on-demand with random number generated games
- 2007 - Sporting Solutions lanches, a B2B sister company of Sporting Index, providing sports betting software and data services.
- 2010 - Sporting Index suffered one of the biggest ever losses in the 2010 UK General Election - a cool £1 million as spread betting opposed the Tories late on.
- 2011 - Next generation desktop website lanches
- 2012 - "Bet on the Move" is upgraded with a dynamic new mobile betting app - faster live prices, more intuitive navigation and improved layout. Arsenal 7 - Newcastle 3 is the most expensive Premier League game of all-time.
- 2015 - New app rolled out to desktop and mobile platforms of Sporting Index. Wholly designed with out clients in mind, features include partial cash-outs, quick filters and improved functionality to manage positions
- 2016 - Sporting Index Casino lanches on desktop and mobile
- 2017 - Sport Index becomes an Authorised Betting Partner.